- An international non-governmental organization, founded in 1948 to benefit children under eight years old throughout the world
- An organisation concerned with advocacy for young children and their families.
- A non-partisan and non-sectarian organization.
- An organization affiliated to the United Nations, which has consultative status with UNICEF, UNESCO, UNICEP and the Council of Europe.
- An organization established in more than 50 countries.
OMEP provides a global perspective in children’s issues and operates with other international organizations with similar aims.
It provides information on world concerns about early childhood education, and on related conferences, literature and research.
OMEP is currently focusing its efforts on the 0-3 year old infant, toddler and young child throughout the world.